Ever heard the sentence “If you measure it, you can manage it” – from my position it not an entirely true. You can measure things and still not being in control and not able to manage.
Sometimes we are taking measurements event without a notice or without asking ourselves about the purpose of the measurement.
In my working life I was taking measurements, such as:
– working hours on certain task
– working hours per week
I was counting steps per day. I really wanted to make it 10.000. I didn’t ask myself, is it a right measurement for me. What is the actual goal? In this case I was just an observer.
And jet it very good to measure. Measuring is more precise than a gut feeling. Measuring it’s a base for scientific approach. But the most important element of good measurement starts before you measure anything.
In this interactive training I will give an impulse with many examples and start a discussion with participants about the purpose of metrics and measuring in agile setting.
Touching the topics:
– How can we ask ourselves right questions, why we want to measure
– Cycle of measurement and how it is connected to PDCA cycle
– Outcome based planning and how it is connected to measuring practices
– What are popular agile metrics and how they can be connected to outcome based planning
At the end of the session participants will get a list of helping questions, how to get to the purpose of measuring.